History of Delta County —- In the Beginning –Fur Traders
Fort Uncompahgre was located south of Delta, at the point where Roubideau Creek (permanently misspelled, though named after the trader) empties into the Gunnison River. For a few years Antoine Roubidoux lived and trapped there, but an Indian uprising destroyed both the fort and his Uintah post by mid-1840. No rebuilding was done because the demand for beaver had stopped in favor of silk hats.
On his railroad survey trip with Captain John Gunnison in 1853, Kit Carson noted the ruins of Fort Uncompahgre. In the 1880’s some of the stone of Rubidoux’s buildings remained, according to the records of early settlers. Location of the fort is guess-ta-mated to be at the site of Confluence Lake. Old timers think they removed the outlined remains of a hut and stockade from the early days.